Mindfulness, defined by John Kabat-Zinn as “the awareness that emerges through paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally” is a way of being that has been practiced for thousands of years across numerous cultures and various religious traditions. More recently, it was introduced in the west as a therapeutic (non-religious) application with several psychological and health benefits, which include:
- regulating emotions
- reducing negativity
- lowering stress reactivity
- improving concentration
- improving relationships
- increasing problem-solving abilities
- diminishing low mood
- enhancing the body’s ability to heal
- enhancing the body’s immune response
Mindfulness techniques are often applied as part of counselling and psychotherapy (see more on my Individual Counselling page).
Private Mindfulness Meditation Training, on the other hand, involves in-depth, one-on-one instruction rooted in the practice of formal meditation. Throughout each meditation, intentional focus is placed on a present moment experience, which results in physical changes in the structure of the brain over time. Those who practice mindfulness meditation often find that, as a result, they experience greater attunement in the present moment, enjoying more of what life has to offer, while spending less time dwelling on events from the past or worrying about the future. The practice has been documented to benefit those struggling with chronic pain, anxiety, and depression, among other physical and mental health conditions.
As a student of mindfulness meditation training, you will benefit from:
- an initial conversation about the challenge(s) that you are currently facing, with training customized to meet your individual needs
- a blend of guided sitting, eating, moving, and lying meditations
- conversations and lessons to help enhance your learning
- guidance and troubleshooting difficulties
- assistance in developing an at-home, personalized meditation practice, with recommendations for guided audio recordings
- accountability to follow through
- goal-setting for continuing mindfulness meditation practice into the future
It is through my formal education and 10+ years of personal meditation experience that I believe in the power of mindfulness meditation, and I am happy to share my knowledge with others who are ready to develop their own practice as a means of personal growth and development.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you would like to book a COMPLEMENTARY initial 15-minute consultation to chat about the practice or otherwise ask any questions that you have about getting started.
I very much hope to see you soon!